Friday, May 11, 2012

Excessive Gaming

Sadly, I have not had enough to to Blog recently, which is a shame, because I'm still loving it!
The reason for this, is that EVE is just so enjoyable for me, and has consumed every spare second I have.

This is both a blessing and a curse, on one hand its great having a game I can play for hours at a time and let it consume me, and when I do stop playing I end up very satisfied about what I have achieved. Even if it is some trivial, like high-sec cruiser mining. On the other hand it is quite horrible when I realize mid-morning that I have to wake up in 5 hours and catch the bus. It also forces me to delay RL responsibility, like, school work and study. Which I believe is incredibly unhealthy. Which is why I have had to force myself to step back from EVE and only play 3 hours at most a night.

 So I ask you, have you ever become so absorbed in a game, that you have been forced to step back and take a break, or set a personal limit on playing. Or have you ever ignored RL responsibilities in order to play a video game?

PS. You can expect far more regular posts from now one, no more late night binges playing EVE for me ;)

3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. I'm 31 years old, with wife and kids, and I've always been a gamer. There are a bunch of occasions I can think of when gaming has disrupted my real life responsibilities. Not to mention, gaming has been pretty much the only issue that causes my wife and I to argue in our otherwise healthy marriage. I know I'm getting older and in progressively worse shape because seldomly can I pull "all-nighters" anymore. I have done my fair share of realizing that I have to get up for work in two hours and calling in sick, all due to gaming. I feel your pain. I might recommend not getting married and having kids if you really enjoy gaming (hind sight is always 20/20).

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Mrs Bhagpuss and I first began playing Everquest back in 1999 we just had the one PC and we shared an account. Each of us sometimes got up insanely early (like 5 am) to get a couple of hours in before the other one woke up. Wasn't long before we decided we really ought to have an account each.

    Nowadays its a lot easier to pick up and put down but still every time a new MMO really bites we end up spending most of our free time playing, which I guess is what we are looking for. Hoping to get that from GW2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excessive gaming is very troubling. I mean when you think that at times games can be so immersive that we lose track of time and play for hours in the night, its very troubling.

    I mean, remember the incident where a baby had starved to death because her parents were so absorbed by WoW
    (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/news200605wowbaby)

    Troubling indeed.

    ReplyDelete